We hung out with my cousins on Superbowl Sunday, and I decided to contribute a tasty dessert to the already fat-filled spread (because it just wouldn’t be Superbowl Sunday without lots of unhealthy food). My cousin’s fiancée cannot have gluten, so I wanted to make something that she could eat. I found this recipe for rocky road crispy bars and decided it sounded too good to not try!
These were extremely easy to make, and SO super duper tasty! We just polished off the last of them tonight (I have eaten an obscene quantity in the last few days… I’m not proud). If you like peanut butter, chocolate, marshmallows and rice krispies, I’m pretty sure you won’t hate these.
Here’s the disclaimer, though — despite the recipe saying “gluten free,” I found out after I made them that Rice Krispies are not actually gluten free. They contain malt, which is derived from barley, which is a no-go in a gluten free diet :-( However, there are brands of rice crisps out there that are gluten free, so if you switched them out in the recipe, you’d be good to go! (And in case you’re wondering, my cousin’s fiancée decided to take the chance and had no side-effects, but I do not recommend trying this if you can’t have gluten!)
- 3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/4 cups Rice Krispies
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 1/2 cups small marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Cook 1st three ingredients in saucepan until peanut butter is melted, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the 2 1/4 cups rice krispies. Spread in baking dish (9×13 size is good, or Tupperware cold cut keeper).
- Cook chocolate chips, 1/2 cup corn syrup, 1/4 cup sugar, and butter over low heat, til butter is melted (stir constantly).
- Stir in 2 cups cereal and marshmallows.
- Spread over 1st layer.
- Sprinkle with nuts. Cool.
Recipe found on RecipeZaar